[Last updated: 23rd May 2018 – see section 11 (Updates) for Change Log]
Refugees Welcome Milton Keynes (“RWMK”) strives for a better future for refugees and asylum seekers in Milton Keynes. Consistent with this goal, we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy and security: whenever you provide us with your personal information via our website, or on paper in response to a letter, or via physical attendance/signup forms at occasional meetings, or via direct verbal or electronic communication with our trained Trustees and volunteers, we will treat that information in accordance with this policy.
If you would like to know the full details of what information we have stored, or do not wish to continue receiving information from us, or wish to have your information removed entirely from our database(s), please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
1. What information is collected from you
1a. Personal information (via forms, newsletter and donations)
- Website and related forms/communications: When you fill in a form on our website, or provide information via physical attendance/signup forms at occasional meetings, or on paper in response to a letter, or via direct verbal or electronic communication with our trained Trustees and volunteers, we collect various personal information, namely your name, email address, what you told us about ‘How you can help’ and (optionally) your phone number and organisation or school.
- Newsletter circulation and access statistics: We use a third party provider, MailChimp, to deliver our regular newsletter. We gather statistics about frequency of email openings and clicks using industry standard technologies to help us monitor and improve our newsletter. For more information, please see MailChimp’s privacy notice, particularly section 3, ‘Privacy for Contacts’, since RWMK Newsletter and email recipients are the contacts referred to in that document. Also note that Mailchimp provides ‘approximate geolocation data’ that we do NOT use: this data (derived from your computer’s IP address and typically accurate to the nearest town, e.g. ‘Milton Keynes’) is intended as an extra feature to help newsletter providers ‘target’ their newsletters to different geographical regions, but the data is neither relevant nor appropriate for RWMK (which operates in a concentrated geographical region) – therefore we neither look at nor use this geolocation data [for your information, note that MailChimp describes the geolocation process in a blog post here].
- Donations: If you make a donation to RWMK online at the web address localgiving.org/rwmk, your card information is collected by our fundraising service Localgiving.org, but is not held by us. Localgiving.org also provide Refugees Welcome Milton Keynes with a list of donors and amounts: this list is being removed as of 25th May 2018 in order to comply with the new General Data Protection Regulation. Our copy of that list will also be deleted for consistency. For more information, see Localgiving’s privacy notice (especially the section on ‘Personal information submitted when you donate‘).
1b. Anonymous information (via Site statistics or anonymous donations)
- A further source of anonymous information is the list of donors who have chosen to remain anonymous and are stored as ‘anonymous’ in the records noted on our fundraising site localgiving.org/rwmk However, this data will be removed as of 25th May 2018 as described in section 1a.
2. How your personal information (section 1a) is used, and for how long
We may use your personal information in the following ways:
- To send you communications which you have requested and that may be of interest to you.
- To seek your views or comments on the services we provide.
- To notify you of changes to our services.
- To improve our services or charitable objectives.
- To correspond/communicate with you about meetings, events, or activities that may involve you or be of interest to you.
These may include information about events, appeals, news and fundraising activities pertinent to the objectives of Refugees Welcome Milton Keynes as set out on our About page at rwmk.org.uk/about
We review our information annually to make sure we have deleted information that is no longer relevant or which you have specifically requested be deleted.
3. Who has access to your information
We are committed to protecting the personal data of our supporters, volunteers, Trustees and, of course, the refugees and asylum seekers for whom RWMK exists. Any details you give us will be held in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Refugees Welcome Milton Keynes is the sole owner of the information collected on this Site or via paper forms at our meetings, or on paper in response to a letter, or via direct verbal or electronic communication with our trained Trustees and volunteers. Personal information is stored and accessed only by RWMK trained Trustees and volunteers or by third party cloud and email services deployed by RWMK if these services are also compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation.
Occasionally, we may share your data with the British Red Cross, our key partner working with refugees and asylum seekers, and which shares our level of commitment to privacy and data protection and compliance with the new General Data Protection Regulation. With the sole exception of the British Red Cross as just mentioned, we shall not share, sell, nor rent this information to third parties, unless we are required to do so by law, for example, by a court order or for the purposes of prevention of fraud or other crime.
4. How you can access, update or delete your information
The accuracy of your information is important to us. We are working on ways to make it easier for you to review and correct the information that we hold about you. In the meantime, if you change your email address, or should any of the other information we hold be inaccurate or out of date, please email us at email@example.com, or write to us at our head office above. You have the right to ask for a copy of the information Refugees Welcome Milton Keynes holds about you or the “right to be forgotten” and, again, you can do this by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to us at the address on our Contact page rwmk.org.uk/contact
If you do not want to continue receiving information by email from us, please follow the instructions at the bottom of any email/newsletter you receive from us, which provides a prominent unsubscribe link, or just email email@example.com and ask to be removed from our list.
5. Security precautions in place to protect the loss, misuse or alteration of your information
When you give us personal information, we take steps to ensure that it is treated securely. Any information you provide (such as your name, email address and phone number if you sign up with us online) is encrypted and protected with 256 Bit encryption using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
When you are on a secure page, a lock icon will appear on the bottom or top of web browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge and Safari.
Information transmitted over the Internet can never be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, Refugees Welcome Milton Keynes cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your information, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems.
6. What happens when visitors link to another site?
We do not pass on any personal information about our visitors to any other site. In addition, if you linked to this Site (rwmk.org.uk) from a third party site, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners and operators of that third party site and recommend that you check the policy of that third party site and contact the owner or operator if you have any concerns or questions.
7. Age 16 or Under
If you are aged 16 or under‚ please get your parent’s/guardian’s permission beforehand whenever you provide personal information to the Site. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
8. Cookies (none)
9. Data Protection Policy (separate document)
10. Contact us
If you have any questions about data protection and privacy matters, the Trustee who takes responsibility for Data Protection matters within Refugees Welcome Milton Keynes is the RWMK Treasurer, who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org (or at the postal address shown further below and also at rwmk.org.uk/contact). Please note that the UK Information Commissioner’s Office has advised us that we do not require a ‘Data Protection Officer’ (because we are not a Public Authority, we do not carry out large systematic monitoring of individuals, e.g. via CCTV, and we do not undertake large scale processing of specialised data); instead, we have a responsible contact person as just mentioned.
This policy may change from time to time, so please check this page periodically.
Last update: 23rd May 2018
Previous update: 15th May 2018
Change log (what it was on 15th May 2018 and what is now as of 23rd May 2018):
Section 1a, first bullet point:
WAS: “… which may include your name, email address, phone number, organisation, and what you told us about ‘How you can help.’”
NOW: “… namely your name, email address, what you told us about ‘How you can help’ and (optionally) your phone number and organisation or school.”
Section 1a, second bullet point:
WAS: “For more information, please see MailChimp’s privacy notice.”
NOW: “For more information, please see MailChimp’s privacy notice, particularly section 3, ‘Privacy for Contacts’, since RWMK Newsletter and email recipients are the contacts referred to in that document.”
Section 1a, second bullet point:
WAS: “… this data (typically accurate to the nearest town …”
NOW: “… this data (derived from your computer’s IP address and typically accurate to the nearest town …”
Section 1a, third bullet point:
WAS: “For more information, see Localgiving’s privacy notice.”
NOW: “For more information, see Localgiving’s privacy notice (especially the section on ‘Personal information submitted when you donate‘).”
Refugees Welcome Milton Keynes is a Charity Registered in England and Wales (No. 1171591). The registered address is The Pinnacle, 170 Midsummer Boulevard, Milton Keynes, MK9 1FE, UK See also rwmk.org.uk/contact