- See Volunteer – what you can do immediately below
- Understand how we work with others
- See fresh Red Cross volunteer vacancies below under ‘Want to offer support via the Red Cross?’
- See our case studies page ‘Volunteers Tell Their Stories’
Refugees Welcome Milton Keynes is always on the lookout for people who can help in the following capacities:
- Furnishings, books, donations:
Read about raising funds for our ‘Just One House’ scheme, and donating books or cash
- Offer meaningful work placements with positive outputs
- Be a “work mentor” to one family
- Interpret or teach ESL for the Red Cross, teach Maths or English via Building Bridges
- Be a “buddy” family and help with all aspects of integration
- Organise social events that support integration
- Offer positive links to sports/hobby groups who want to help
- Speakers to join our ‘Talks Team’
- Help with fostering (please visit the Milton Keynes Council Fostering page for info)
We also need support to meet unmet needs of others outside this scheme. If you think you can help with any of the above, or even something not listed, please
- click here to send us a ‘Support Enquiry’ message;
- click here to sign up for our free newsletter and let us know you want to support Refugees Welcome Milton Keynes.
The Council provides the funds from monies allocated for the purpose by central government and identifies accommodation from the local private housing sector. The Council also provides school places where the capacity is available.
The BRC provide the day–to–day support for the families including language learning, interpreting and transport needs.
Some RWMK volunteers helping to get a house ready for an arriving refugee family
We at RWMK contribute local community support. We help refugee families furnish their houses, buy equipment and materials, provide modest grants, encourage integration and do public relations work to highlight the needs of refugees and asylum seekers.
This includes a Talks Team happy to be invited into your school or organisation. If you would like to hear more, get in touch at email@example.com
British Red Cross is working with MK Council, RWMK and civil society to co-ordinate support for Syrian families arriving through the vulnerable persons resettlement scheme (SVPRS). Those coming to resettle in MK through the scheme will be supported to rebuild their lives, after years of conflict and devastation.
Talk English seeks volunteers to teach learners on Talk English Courses and help people to improve their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills; Sanctuary Hosting matches homeless asylum seekers, refugees and vulnerable migrants to people in the community with spare rooms and open hearts, to stay with them rent free. Be sure to double-check late-breaking partner event information on our Partners Page and Events Page.
Here are some ways you can get involved. Our partner organisation The British Red Cross frequently has numerous vacancies. To access these vacancies you need to follow three easy steps:
- Visit the following web page (but read steps 2 & 3 first): jobs.redcross.org.uk
- Type ‘Milton Keynes’ into the [Key words] box on the upper right,
- Click [Search] at the bottom.
The page at Step 1 will look like this, with steps 2 and 3 circled in red:
The relevant vacancies will then be displayed, (with headings such as ‘Refugee Support Project (ESOL) Volunteer – Milton Keynes’, ‘Transport Support Volunteer’, ‘Refugee Support Interpreter Volunteer – Arabic’, ‘Emergency Response Volunteer’, etc). Clicking on each one on the new page will bring up full role details as well as an [Apply online] button at the bottom of each vacancy description.